80 replies to this topic

#1 MoosefesteR

MoosefesteR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:38 PM

Anyone have any news on this?  I was expecting to see a leaked picture by now.  Personally I still haven't given up hope for a retro jersey.

#2 carella211

carella211

I invented you.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,423 posts
  • Season Ticket Holder:Yes
  • Supporter Group(s):ECS

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

I thought they would be revealed at the Draft, but alas, nope. I bet MLS has some sort of corny "Unveiling Day" planned for all the clubs unveil their new shirts for the year. MLS loves to overhype stuff after all. But yea, im surprised as heck that there have been no leaks or even rumors. Those shirts must be sealed up tighter than a nun's hooha.

httpgoalwafileswordpresscom201205seattle

1974 - 2014   40 Years of Excellence!

#3 Thomas Schulz

Thomas Schulz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Season Ticket Holder:No

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:35 AM

I thought they would be revealed at the Draft, but alas, nope. I bet MLS has some sort of corny "Unveiling Day" planned for all the clubs unveil their new shirts for the year. MLS loves to overhype stuff after all. But yea, im surprised as heck that there have been no leaks or even rumors. Those shirts must be sealed up tighter than a nun's hooha.

If it is anything like last season, then yes, there is an "Unveiling Day"

#4 Boston Strong

Boston Strong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

no it's a an "Unveiling Day" it's going to be Unveiling Week!  Why limit all the fun to just one day when it can be like 4 or more right?  Fun Fun Fun....I think two years ago they did a thing were the reviled it piece by piece over a whole week, one pic/section per day.  That was a little overboard though I must admit.  

Major League Soccer (Draft included) is #1

#5 Student of Football

Student of Football

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Supporter Group(s):none

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

With there being an announced commemoration of 40 years since the NASL founding of the Sounders, it makes far too much sense to have a retro kit that pays tribute to that period. Now having said that, they will probably drop an epic clanger on this one...and give us a brown 3rd kit. :P ;)

"There is no real substitute for a ball struck squarely and firmly." - Billy Bragg

"My idea of paradise is a straight line to goal." - Friedrich Nietzche

"In football everything is complicated by the presence of the other team." - Jean-Paul Sartre

#6 carella211

carella211

I invented you.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,423 posts
  • Supporter Group(s):ECS

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:28 PM

With there being an announced commemoration of 40 years since the NASL founding of the Sounders, it makes far too much sense to have a retro kit that pays tribute to that period. Now having said that, they will probably drop an epic clanger on this one...and give us a brown 3rd kit. :P ;)

As much as Portland, and Vancouver, and Montreal have embraced their heritage and their past, the Sounders have done everything under the sun to ignore their heritage and sweep it under the rug and pretend the past doesn't exist. It's only been us fans who have embraced the NASL and ALeague/USL Sounders. The club wants nothing to do with it. So yea, i expect a pink and teal kit with glitter numbers and bells on the boots. And i expect this "40th Anniversary" patch, which the FO did not want, to be about the size of a penny, and only worn on our jersey's once all season just to quite the fans.

httpgoalwafileswordpresscom201205seattle

1974 - 2014   40 Years of Excellence!

#7 SeattleReign

SeattleReign

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

Sounders FC has done a decent job of recognizing and honoring the past players and coaches during games so I don't know if I totally agree with the stance that this team wants to sweep it's history under the rug. Maybe they have been waiting do something big for this anniversary season. Maybe they will surprise you with an awesome white retro uniform that has great touches of the past logo.... and then again maybe they will completely substantiate your position and put out a bright bedazzled uniform that looks like Hanford vomit. My fingers are crossed.

To not go with a retro uniform would sure be a mistake for the club as I truly believe that it would be an amazing seller. I think a ton of fans would jump to buy them.

#8 SounderFan1974

SounderFan1974

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

Whatever you decide to purchase, the tip is to BUY EARLY. Last year I waited until about midseason to purchase a shale match jersey and ended up on a "waiting list" for the rest of the year. There is speculation that Adidas simply sends out "x" number of jerseys & various sizes and when they are used up, that's it. There is no confirmation of this, but my experience says it may be the case.

I would LOVE to see a retro jersey, especially because of the 40th, but I'm not going to hold my breath... :blink:

Sounders 'til I Die!

#9 Boston Strong

Boston Strong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

the first week of March seems to be the popular time for Jersey releases this year...I'll be personally attending a fashion show launch event that week at a night club....fancy fancy 

Major League Soccer (Draft included) is #1

#10 airkeeper

airkeeper

"." <---sarcasm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,039 posts
  • Supporter Group(s):Formal Casuals

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

I don't want a "retro" kit as an official. No one can actually convince me that the POR "retro" thirds looked like anything more than white polos and boxers (skivvy kits). Make a throwback for the fans to purchase, sure, but don't make our boys wear bland, skivvy kits for two seasons. The 40th Anniversary patch is enough for me....I guess I'd be okay if they were to go all-out retro for one match against VAN or POR during which both sides would wear old kits (again, once ONLY in the season).

Look what they tried to do down in Cali's armpit, AKA San Jose. Their "rebrand" is laughable--terrible logo and worse kits. That is called "taking it too far."

#11 SeattleReign

SeattleReign

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:52 PM

I think something in current style that had touches of the old white Sounders uniforms would make an awesome 3rd kit. You don't have to go back to the style of the 70's just borrow a little and massively update it. I have seen some pretty decent looking kit ideas posted by a few so I know it could be done and done well. In the end, my guess is the ownership won't go with it and at best they would just do is like you said, make a retro jersey to buy.

#12 airkeeper

airkeeper

"." <---sarcasm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,039 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

SeattleReign, you are right. There are a lot of creative supporters out there who have come up with truly awesome mock ups. Unfortunately, ADIDAS does not seem to have that same level of creativity--they like to recycle the same templates, often unimaginative, to death--look no further than the new Argentina and Germany kits. No imagination, no uniqueness, no originality (yeah, I am saying the same thing over and over, just like ADIDAS reuse the same thing over and over haha). ADIDAS "idea" of originality is to use a funky, retina-burning color on a generic shirt (and F-ing with the crest colors--however, the Alliance Council has explicitly forbidden our crest being adjusted in future designs).

#13 MoosefesteR

MoosefesteR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

Not sure how legit this site is, but they claim the new kit will be "black / garish green".

#14 Zafiro

Zafiro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

Hmmm....Black and garish green sounds great....

#15 A H

A H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

The third kit this year is "skins."

Save your money. You already own that one.

#16 Tacoma fan

Tacoma fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

Not that I'm chomping at the bit to buy the 3rd kit, or 40th anniversary gear, I'm looking forward to seeing it. Some years note-worthy; others make me think "what the h***". I assume that at least will be released before 8 March.

#17 Rabid Sounder II

Rabid Sounder II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Supporter Group(s):Black Hills Militia, ECS

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:51 AM

Well March 3rd has been announced as the big Reveal day for our Third kit! With the small sneak preview they do look black and green. So this means they will be real similar to the Shale/dark grey we currently have.

We wear so much blue training gear they should bring back the blue jersey from the first couple of years.

#18 t-paine v 2.0

t-paine v 2.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

Well March 3rd has been announced as the big Reveal day for our Third kit! With the small sneak preview they do look black and green. So this means they will be real similar to the Shale/dark grey we currently have.

We wear so much blue training gear they should bring back the blue jersey from the first couple of years.

After the last two 3rd kit disasters (obnoxious Oregon Duck yellow and Sucky Cyan), black and green will look like the most awesome kits ever created.

If there is no meth in heaven, then the Timbers will never die.

#19 Tacoma fan

Tacoma fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

Got email from MLS encouraging me to pre-order the 3rd kit. Since there were no photos, proceeded to delete the email. As my father would put it, didn't want to "buy a pig in a poke".

#20 airkeeper

airkeeper

"." <---sarcasm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,039 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

So I inquired, via Twitter, why the crest was, yet again, altered for the third kit since the Alliance Council passed a resolution stipulating that the club's crest not be altered. Alliance Council's twitter response was the following:

@CapnIronPants @sounderatheart @SoundersFC We did pass a resolution, but it is not binding on the Club under the terms of our charter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users